Follow me on Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 28 July 2013

My friends, the books!

Today I want to share a books meme that I stole from a couple of friends' journals on Livejournal. I so much love reading and talking about books I couldn't resist it and had to take my time and answer all of the meme's many questions. Enjoy reading it and take a turn in answerig the questions if you like!





1. Favourite childhood book?

I think my favourite book(s) (because it actually is a series) was Little Womens and its sequels. I had fallen for the four March sisters and I couldn't really choose my favourite of them all. Meg was so nice and caring and I probably wished I was like her. Jo is the main character in all the books. She's smart, she's strong and she writes and reads a lot! And Beth, well she's Beth! She was too good and you couldn't but like her. Amy probably was my least favourite of the four, but still I was fond of her, because she was the little one. I had hardcovers of the four books of that amazing series by L.M.Alcott, and I think that my favourite was Little Men.

2. What are you reading right now?

I am currently reading NW by Zadie Smith. It's a bit of a struggle, because the style doesn't make of it an easy reading, still I am interested in it and will try and read it to its last page.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

Even though  I have a library card I don't like to get library books, the due date puts pressure on me and I can hardly finish a library book in time!!! 

4. Bad book habit?

When I am halfway throught a book I really like I take a peek at the last chapter to find our what's happening to my favourite characters. I can't help it. Another bad habit of mine is that of putting the book down if I don't find it interesting enough by page 30.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

I think I've not browsed books at the library for a year or so.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

I own a first generation Kindle. I like it pretty much, but I'm lately going back to real paper books reading. 

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

I tried to read more books at once, but I can't really go on in the reading.. I am now sticking to my old habit of picking one book at a time. I am not as multitasking as I thought I could be!

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

I don't think that reading habits changed since starting a blog. Rather, it changed with my growing age. I am now reading some non fiction (that was not something I liked at all in my teen years) and I pretty much like it! 

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)

Don't know. As I said before if I think I don't really like a book I put it down past page 30... There are a few I put down this year. Last one being March by Geraldine Brooks (a disappointment for me because I had such high expectations on it)

10. Favourite book you've read this year?

Mmmm... So far I haven't read a book I really really like in 2013... I really liked Romancing Miss Bronte that I read in January, though. 

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

I try not to read out of my comfort zone actually because then I fear having to put my reading down with disappointment.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Historical novels, real life stories, classic English literature, women literature. 

13. Can you read on the bus?

I adore reading when commuting!

14. Favourite place to read?

At the breakfast table, early in the morning!

15. What is your policy on book lending?

I am a member of bookcrossing, so that pretty much answer the question! If you also are a bookcrosser, then check my profile  there please!

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

erhm... yes I do... Bad habit you say?!

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

No

18. Not even with text books?

Oh yes, whit those I do.

19. What is your favourite language to read in?

English. I think translations ofter waste the spirit that originally is in a book. English is my favourite language, since most books I read are by english speaking authors.

20. What makes you love a book?

when I understand what a character in a book thinks and feels, then I can really say I love a book!

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

If I really like a story I just can't keep myself from reccomending it to everyone I know! I so much loved reading Extremely loud & Incredibly close that I gave a copy of it to all my dearest ones for their birthdays! 

22. Favourite genre?

Historical novels and real life fiction.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)

I wish I was more sensitive and found poetry at least a bit interesting... but I don't!

24. Favourite biography?

Anne Frank's... I read at least 3 or 4 different biographies of her. 
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Tried to but it's not something I really like

26. Favourite cookbook?

I have no cookbooks, mainly use blogs for recipes. 

27. Most inspirational book you've read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

Wednesday's Child by Shane Dunphy

28. Favourite reading snack?

I usually have breakfast when reading. 

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

Can't think of such a case sorry.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

Don't really care of critics, I read reviews on goodreads if I want to read some other people's opinions on a book I want to read.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

I think reviews are personally and it's our reader's right to express both positive and negative feeling on a book.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?

I am happy to read in English. 

33. Most intimidating book you've ever read?

mmm... Can't think of an intimidating book... Or maybe "The betrothed" by Manzoni, but it was no more as intimidating once I was halfway thought it.

34. Most intimidating book you're too nervous to begin?

Maybe russian classics. 

35. Favorite poet?

No poetry for me thank you.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

one and that's enough for me. Told you, deadline puts pressure on me. 

37. How often have you returned a book to the library unread?

erhm... often.

38. Favorite fictional character?

Hermione Granger

39. Favorite fictional villain?

None that I can think of at the moment.

40. Books I'm most likely to bring on vacation?

A book that's located in the same city I am visiting at that moment.

41. The longest I've gone without reading.

4 months, when I started a new stressful job!

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

March, as I said earlier. 

43. What distracts you easily when you're reading?

Nothing, I get absorbed in the reading.

44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?

I always like books better than movie adaptations. 

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Too many.

46. The most money I've ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

50€?!

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Sometimes, as I confessed earlier.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

If I can't really find any interest in it.

49. Do you like to keep your books organised?

Of course I do, they are organized on descending order according to their size.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you've read them?

Depending on the books. Sometimes I keep and re-read, sometimes I give away or release in the wild.

51. Are there any books you've been avoiding?

No. 

52. Name a book that made you angry.

A child named It. It had me so mad at that abusive mother! (I am a social worker, so...)

53. A book you didn't expect to like but did?

I think that Kinsella's shopaholic series pretty much entertained me and I didn't expect it to do that!

54. A book that you expected to like but didn't?

The Casual Vacancy sort of disappointed me a bit, but I still liked it ok.

55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

Chick lit, sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked what you read? Tell me your opinion please!