Follow me on Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday 24 January 2014

In which the journey starts...

R. and I always take notes when travelling somewhere. We treasure memories and don't want to forget anything of what we see and do in the place we visit. We did take many notes of our honeymoon in America. So far I had never found the will to sit and write all of those many memories down. Yet, many friends keep asking about our adventures and I admitt we still owe a detailed account of our time overseas to most of them. I think I will keep it going for a while, as a (more or less) regular feature on the blog. Every time I will give account of one/two days worth adventures.

Our honeymoon began in Rome at La Riviera Best Western, just a few minutes ride far from Fiumicino airport.

We woke up to a sunny and mild day and, after a quick (and not too rich, to my disappointment -I am a fan of breakfasts, especially when travelling-) breakfast at the hotel cafeteria, husband and I ventured outside on the way to the seashore (a few minutes walk from the hotel room). We messaged friends and relatives to say thank you again for being with us on our special day while taking a few minutes walk in the neighborood.

The shuttle to the airport collected us in front of our hotel and drove us to the terminal for international flights. I surprisingly started feeling pretty anxious about sitting for as long as 9 and a half hours in a plane, but tried to conceal my feelings to R., in vain. We ate a quick lunch at the airport and went in for check in and security control (that always make me super anxious).

At 2.40 pm our plane took off from Rome and started its long journey all the way to New York City. We had managed to pre-book two comfy seats in the economy class and we enjoyed the first half of our flight, reading and watching one of the movies Alitalia was offering its passengers. R. also managed to take a nap at some point. I couldn't nap instead and the last 1 and a half hours of flight were almost unbearable to me. I would twist in my sit and couldn't find a peace of mind and could no more read or play video-games on the plane computer... I would just stare at the screen that showed the plane flying over the United States of America and slowly approaching the JFK airport.

Finally at 6.30pm local time we landed in New York! I was excited to step foot on the American soil for the very first time in my life! We managed to go through security control and visa check smoothly and collected our luggage that had safely made it to America as well. Now, luggage is a point that worries me big time when flying somewhere: I heard some dreadful stories of lost suitcases and misembarked luggage. Thankfully none of said nightmarish experience happened to us in any of the 5 flights we caught during our honeymoon wander. Call it luck!

We were almost two hours ahead of the scheduled flight to Boston and good luck kissed us again when the lady at the check-in desk offered us an early flight to Boston, that we jumped on at once! The flight to Boston is short, maybe even shorter than simply short! We sat down and had the time to listen to the usual advices in case of plane disaster that the hostess gave to the passengers and there we were already landing in Boston!!! It was 9.35pm and by that time we started to feel quite tired. We swallowed a sandwich from Subway (that is by no means a favourite of mine) that was the only shop opened at that time at Boston airport.


We decided we were too tired to try figure out what was the cheapest mean of transport to reach our B&B in Cambridge from Logan airport and agreed on taking a taxi ride all the way to the hotel. Our taxi driver was a nice lad, who loved to chat and who offered us some explanations of the sights we were seeing from the car on the ride to Cambridge. Finally, we got to "A Cambridge B&B Inn" where the staff welcomed us with a big smile and offered us the biggest room they had to celebrate our first journey abroad as bride and groom. The room was amazing: big, clean and comfy. We loved it there. Our bed was soft and we soon dozed off and slept all the journey tiredness away as soon as we turned the lights off. We finally were in America, our honeymoon had finally begun!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked what you read? Tell me your opinion please!