Follow me on Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 26 January 2014

In which they follow the red bricked-lined route.

We woke up to a new american day after an ok night sleep. I was already fighting against the jet-lag from that first night and would do so for the following three nights, untill melatonin did the trick and I could get used to sleep at night and stay awake with daylight.

After what I define a superb breakfast ( I even got to try peanut butter on my toasted bread! Not to mention jams of various flavours and a hot mug of coffee to wake me up) we stepped out the front door of our B&B and were already staring right and left, amazed: in front of our very eyes we had a farm selling pumpkins. Pumpkins of all sizes and shades of orange! A real beauty for two Italians abroad!!!




You can judge from our expressions that we were already satisfied with what we were seeing! And we'd not moved far from the hotel yet!

According to our taxi driver of the previous night, we had to catch the red line tube (that I soon enough learned it's called subway in America and if you are as ignorant as me and ask for directions to the tube no one will be able to help out) subway to downtown Boston, that we did. Honestly we had been so busy with wedding organization and house refurbishing in the few weeks before leaving, that we hadn't had time enough to plan a sensible tour of Boston. Thankfully we had provided ourselves with a Lonely Planet guide of North America. That saved our holiday because we religiously followed its tips and we felt like we accomplished the best of our journey.

Lonely Planet suggested to let the red bricked-lined route called "Freedom Trail" drive us around the city of Boston. We ensured that it touched the main sights in Boston and we started the 2.5 miles walk along the trail.




After a stop at the Granary Burying Ground, that is the resting place of Boston's most famous people, we walked forward, led by the trail bricks, and stopped -as most tourist did- to take a pic with the bronze donkey in front of the Old City Hall.








By that time we were already craving some hot cappuccino and a Starbuck Coffee right behind the fence of the Old City Hall had to be our next step. God bless Starbuck soy latte! I lived of that during my american stay!!! Tried my luck at some other coffee shop and Dunkin Donuts but they didn't have soy milk and I could have no cappuccino nor latte there! Starbuck was my favourite coffee shop, no doubts!

After a refreshing coffee we went back on the trail and continued along the route. We stopped in front of a bookshop and I had the ritual photo taken with a broad smile on my face in anticipation of what I would find inside: lots of books, old and new prints. I was sensible though and didn't spend there too much time. Actually I was already nodding off (damn jet-lag!) and couldn't much concentrate on anything, not even on books browsing!




R. and I continued walking and walking, but I can't deny we both were starting to feel a bit tired.
We tried some mobile shops for a usim card for our ipad and the third we visited was our lucky one: found a rechargeable one that fit in the European ipad and we'd go with that for the following 15 days. We were real americans: smart people, with their ipad, smartly walking around the city! Yes, we need that little to have fun!

When our stomach began to grumble in an all but polite way we were right in front of the Quincy Market, one of the most amazing places I'd ever stepped foot in! Not only it is a historic building and it has its own charm because of that, but inside you can find any type of food you can think of!
We went for an asian mix (me) and the typical Clam Chowder soup (R. who is so lucky and can eat everything containing dairies). Thank to the mild temperature we sat right outside of the market on a bench and enjoyed our lunch and the free wi-fi Boston city offered its visitors.












With our bellies filled to burst we ventured in the shops around the market place and there we found an amazing shop selling all Christmas related items! Christmas in October you say?! It's never too early for some Christmas shopping! We bought a lovely tree decoration with two cute owls and the slogan "Our first Christmas together" carved in a red heart. It is my favourite Christmas item of course! I think we'll buy a new decoration every year. We'll have a special one every year we spend together! Ain't it exciting?!
Anyway, back on track...

We went back on the freedom trail and passed through the rest of the official trail sites: Paul Revere House, that we chose not to enter saving up some bucks, Old North Church, the USS Constitution that was closed because of the government shutdown and finally went uphill to the Bunker Hill Monument, that was also closed down.










Our Freedom Trail tour ended by 6 pm (mostly due to them closed sites) and we took another walk, following the Harbour Walk this time. We shot some nice photos while walking: the light was especially beautiful.




A memorable day had to end with a memorable dinner and we wanted to taste lobster, that our Lonely Planet guide suggested was a specialty in Boston. We found a nice waterfront seafood restaurant (also quoted good from the Lonely Planet staff) called "Barking Crab". We asked for two lobster and finally had our first taste of it. Well, I won't deny that I was quite disappointed with it. I would have rather spent my dollars on something better tasting than a lobster! Anyway, a small defeat wouldn't ruin a perfect day! And we went back to the hotel still feeling as satisfied and happy with our first day in America.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bed&breakfast hotel, I've always wanted a house like that! It's so American :)
    I have eaten lobster quite a few times, fresh and frozen, and I prefer it with pasta or as surf and turf. I had fresh lobster in Thassos and I have to say it really wasn't worth the money. It didn't taste much, there wasn't much to eat, perhaps it would be been better in a pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete

Liked what you read? Tell me your opinion please!