Follow me on Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday 20 December 2013

'Tis the season to be jolly

Fa la la la la, la la la la....

We all know that Christmas means to most of us family, home, traditions. Dickens liked to picture in its Christmas stories the families get togethers. And it's the very same picture I can think of when saying it's Christmas season.

Yes, because Christmas means to me family. As weird and disfunctional a family can be, comes Christmas and they still find a way to get together and forget all (or almost all) problems for the day and feel the merry air of Christmas.

This year R. and I are a family, finally. We'll wake up together on Christmas morning and will open our gifts together in front of our gorgeous tree. We'll make it a tradition soon.




This year Christmas is both tradition and novelty for us, and I admitt it's so exciting to just think of it! We're only 4 days away! Can't really wait for it!!!

On 24th night we'll dine with R.'s family. They usually exchange gifts on that night. We've picked up a name from a jar and we have to think for a gift for that person whose name we chose. That'll be fun! It's my first year of this tradition, I mean I usually spent the Christmas Eve at home with my parents and sister and we had a simple dinner together and then got ready for the Mass. This year it'll be fun to do something new!
Comes midnight and R. and I attend the Holy Mass. I love that Mass, it's special. No Mass is as special to me. After the holy celebration we usually eschange gifts with our friends. This procedure may take up to one hour and we're never home before 2am on Christmas day! This year we'll give money we would spend for buying Christmas to some family who's in need. So we won't exchange proper gifts. Still R. and I thought we can bake some muffins and give them instead, one each friend. I found a perfect Christmas muffins recipe: honey and nuts. I tried them the other day and we love them so much!

On 25th morning we'll wake up (I hope I will be able to stay in bed 'till 9am but am not sure about it because I can be really excited on Christmas morning!) together and have our Christmas breakfast (I hope R. will allow me to play Christmas songs on our musicplayer!) and then open our gifts (that we've already placed under the Christmas tree at home).
Lunch we'll have at my parents'. This year R.'s parents are joining us and I am really happy about it: we'll have our whole family together. This year my sister and R.'s brother won't celebrate with us because they're at their respective partner's. But I think it's natural when you grow up and have serious relationships that you have other traditions to embrace and extended families to celebrate with.
In the afternoon I usually help mom tidy after the big meal and so I will this year. Then we'll drive to R.'s parents' where we'll join the rest of the family for dinner.

On 26th we usually spend a day at home, enjoying our gifts, but this year R.'s brother and his partner invited us at their place to have a meal all together with R.'s parents and his brother's partner's parents. Will that become a tradition as well?! Time will tell...

Our Christmas this year promises to be a merry and nice one. And I am eager to live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked what you read? Tell me your opinion please!